Pages

March 20, 2013

Raylan is 2 months old!

Baby boy is already 2 months old, time is really flying now! It's true what they say, time flies once you have 3 kids in 3 years ;) I was really bad about recording Alexis' first year, for Regan I had a baby book that I filled out. For Raylan I am going to use my blog as the place where I keep track of his developments and milestones his first fleeting year. I was watching videos this morning and I cannot believe my baby Alexis is already gone, she is such a toddler now. It made me want to try that much harder to savor each baby moment with Raylan because before I know it he will not be a baby anymore either!

Raylan at 2 months:
Weight: 11 pounds, 6 ounces - 30th percentile (he was only in the 7th percentile at his 2 week check-up!)
Height: 22 inches - also 30th percentile

EAT
It's obvious from his stats that this kid loves to eat! He is still exclusively breastfed and doing great at it. We had some latch issues in the beginning that made nursing very frustrating but they have all worked themselves out. Now that he is bigger he is great at latching on and getting very efficient at getting what he needs quickly. He rarely goes more than 2 1/2 or 3 hours between feedings during the day.

SLEEP
A couple nights ago I got 5 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep! But that is by far the longest Raylan has slept. Most nights he will fall asleep around the time the girls go to bed, between 7 and 8. He will sleep/hang out with Matt and I until about 9:30 or 10:00, eat, then sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning. Then he will wake up again at 5 or 6. Usually he will go back to sleep until 7 or 8 and I sleep with him most days thanks to my wonderful husband getting up with the girls.

PLAY
Of course at only 2 months old Raylan still doesn't do much. But he has started smiling a lot more, usually at nothing though, or at least nothing I can see. I'm convinced angels are playing with him all day long :) He loves to be talked to and when he's awake he loves it when his sisters talk to him and play with him. I can tell the 3 of them are going to have a lot of fun together once Raylan gets older!

I tried for a little while to get Ray on the baby wise schedule, wake-feed-play-sleep every 3 hours. But I have since given up and gone back to what I did with both girls which is follow his cues and let him slowly ease himself into a schedule by the time he is 3 or 4 months. The problem with following someone else's schedule for me is that A) I am not strict enough and can't ever remember where I am suppose to be in the schedule and B) it doesn't necessarily work for all babies, I can't hardly get Raylan to stay awake 10 minutes, let alone an hour and a half after he eats if he doesn't want to. And a lot of the time I can't get him to go 3 hours between a feeding either, this boy is hungry! So I gave up on that and even though he isn't sleeping 8 hours through the night like the baby wise people claim he would be if he was on the schedule  we are all happier and less stressed when sweet baby Ray gets what he needs when he needs it instead of when the schedule says he should get it!

Some pictures of my little chunky monkey on his 2-month-old birthday:


Almost caught the smile on camera! 


Budah Belly

1 comment:

The Dennett's said...

he is so cute!! I agree with the whole schedule thing...I never read babywise or happy baby or any of those books...just went off of their cues and we were all much happier!

love the update Jen!