Pages

March 13, 2013

A Pinterest Post

So the last couple weeks I have actually been trying out more of the things I've "pinned" besides just recipes. The girls have loved it and so have I! We painted with colored pudding, made roads on the floor with tape, played with paint inside ziplocks, watched colored vinegar sizzle in baking soda, and I tried making a sensory box although it was pretty lame since I didn't have much to put in it. I've also been watching/reading hair how-to's and discovered that it IS possible for my hair to hold a curl, hooray!! I really love Pinterest, even more when I use the ideas and they work out. Honestly I don't know how these people come up with some of the things they do but I am so glad that Pinterest makes it so easy to steal their ideas (when they want me to of course). I admit I am not the most creative when it comes to thinking of activities for my kids and I am definitely not that great at doing my hair, but I am trying and learning!


The tape on the floor wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be, Alexis just wanted to pull it off and Regan was bored after 5 minutes...maybe because they are girls and don't care about cars that much?



Paint inside ziplocks bags - not as big a hit as I had hoped. 


Regan loved this! She would have been occupied for much longer if I hadn't run out of baking soda! 


Showing me what she found

This is how the painting with pudding/food coloring started...


And then daddy got involved and told them to use their hands and forget about the paper...


And then it was everywhere!




The entire table was covered!


I'm not sure who had more fun, Matt or the kids! But this activity was definitely a hit, Regan has been begging to do it again ever since. I liked not having to worry about Alexis eating it, because that was the first thing she did. I got the idea here, but it's pretty straight-forward, just make the pudding and add the colors. I will say though that you don't need hardly any food coloring, I don't know what I was thinking but I went by the back of the box which is for whole batches of cake or frosting...I know, I'm not very bright sometimes :) 


Now that the gift has been given I can also show off the adorable onesies I made recently (Pinterest helped with these too). I've only gotten one done for the little mister but I made 3 for my friend Ali who is expecting a little girl very soon! I haven't been to many baby showers or given very many baby gifts, but in the future this will be my go-to gift because they are so easy, unique and personal. They are not even close to perfect as far as the sewing around the edges goes, but I think a little bit of error is part of the home-made charm. :)


Elephant, complete with a tail on the back! 



Owl
Patterns via.


Cowgirl hat - my fave :)


Raylan modeling his cute little tie onesie. 
Pattern/tutorial: via.

I have really been trying to learn how to do something with my hair other than straight or pony. I used to scrunch it when it was long so I decided to try that again thinking it would never work with this length, but to my surprise and delight it worked and looked really cute! Then I decided I wanted to try some other things and learn some more new styles, so of course I went to Pinterest! The first thing I tried was curling my hair with my straight iron and let me tell you, I am ticked that I never discovered this before now! My hair is stick straight and has never held a curl with a curling iron, but when I used my straightener not only did the curls look awesome, but they stayed amazingly until I washed it, which means even the next morning I had curls left. They didn't look that great anymore, but my hair was still pretty curly which has NEVER happened. Here's the tutorial if you want to try it yourself! I also spent half an hour watching all of these hair-to videos and have tried number 3 (loved it, way better than just a plain bun or pony like I normally do). I thought of taking pictures of myself with all these new styles, but I felt vain and silly so I didn't. You will just have to take my word for it, I looked HOT! Haha, kidding! But I did look better than just a boring pony tail or my usual stick straight do' so I felt pretty great about myself. Sorry this post is turning into a novel! Pinterest really is so amazing when I actually use the ideas I pin, it's awesome! Yay for being a "pinner" :) 



3 comments:

Kassi Nelson said...

Your kiddies are so cute and I totally want to paint with pudding now! haha. So fun!

Also I am so glad you discovered the straightener for curling your hair! I have had the same problem my whole life and discovered that trick a few months ago. I was going to suggest it until I read the rest of your post! Its amazing huh!!?? I Never thought my hair would hold a curl. Ever. But its like magic! Yay for pinterest!

The Dennett's said...

so many fun and fabulous ideas! You inspire me to be a better mom and more involved with the kiddos :)

I also feel like I pin a lot but never do anything with them...the only boards I really "apply" are DIY projects...but even then I have maybe done 15 compared to the 100s of pins I posted!

I love your posts Jen! and thanks for the hair tutorial links- those I love to watch! you rock!

Westensee Family said...

Jen. THANK YOU for posting. Seriously. Andrew and I decided to meet up last minute for lunch, so I needed something quick to do with my hair....that pin is AWESOME. i LOVE how fast I could do my hair...i want to try doing tighter curls next time...but i LOVED curling my hair with my straightener and having big loose curls.

Also. LOVE you ideas you have done with your kids. This week has been SO lazy. But now I want to do some of your ideas this next week :) Thanks for the inspiration :)